Environmental Graphics Project Request Form
Environmental graphics combine graphics with architecture, lighting, landscaping and interior design to create a unique and branded space.
UND has two types of environmental graphics – informational and aesthetic. Informational signs include wayfinding, logos, building identification and more utilitarian needs like creating privacy. Aesthetic graphics show our brand personalities and inject school spirit into a space. Aesthetic graphics can be signs, banners, window clings, elevator wraps or more complex two dimensional designs.
Environmental graphics have a major impact on a space when used correctly. They help make a large campus feel unified and create a sense of community. They help tell a story. The following standards apply to all environmental graphics to ensure our campus looks unified and tells our best story.
- All environmental graphics requests will be brought to UND’s Environmental Branding Review Board (via this project request form) to be approved or denied.
- If approved, a workflow process will be started with the campus partner, Facilities Management and Marketing & Communications.
- If denied, a member of the Board will respond to the project request with an explanation of why the project was denied.
- Before submitting this project, the requester must confirm a budget for printing and installation. An average price for vinyl costs is $15 per square foot.
- A budget should also be considered for graphic replacement, as most types of graphics average a three-year lifespan.
- Graphics need to be evaluated every other year and replaced as brand or quality requires.
- The Board reserves the right to determine if current graphics need to be replaced or removed if a replacement budget is not available.
- Environmental graphic projects have an extended timeline. Plan for a minimum of 12 weeks.
- Graphics larger than 24 inches x 36 inches require a non-UND vendor for printing and install.
- Each type of graphic will have additional standards discussed during the planning process.
Examples of Environmental Graphics
Mounted Vinyl Sign
Vinyl Window Cling
Environmental Graphics Approval Process
UND’s Environmental Branding Review Board will assist with decisions regarding placement, material selection and messaging and have final approval of the overall graphic. Completing this form does not guarantee your project will be approved. During the planning process, the Board and requestor will review the graphic types available based on the goal listed in the project request form. In most cases, one of our standard designs will fit the requested needs. In some instances, a custom design may be needed and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.