Use the UND Calendar to promote and share university events to members of the university community.
Posting Events to the UND Calendar
What to Post
Eligible Event Examples
- Academic lectures
- Student organization-sponsored social events open to others
- UND athletic events
- Career fairs on campus or sponsored by a UND department
- Admissions events, campus tours, department open houses
- University music/theater performances
- Major community events (i.e., concert at The Ralph)
Non-Eligible Event Examples
- Closed office, departmental, or group meetings (open only to specific individuals)
- Non-university social gathering
- Sale or special event by a local business
Events hosted exclusively by local or regional non-university businesses or organizations are referred to the Grand Forks City calendar or the Greater Grand Forks Convention & Visitors Bureau calendar.
All events should have a unique photograph to boost visibility across the UND website. Do not use a PDF with event details (time, date, location) because this content will be searchable on your event listing. Use the calendar's photo library if you do not have your own photography.
Event Image Guidelines
- Crop images to 940 px by 557 px.
- Photos or non-text graphics are recommended.
- Logos are allowed.
- Avoid all white backgrounds. The events are listed on a white background and will look washed out.
- Do not use event brochures/posters or images with text for the following reasons:
- Images with text can't be searched or used by screen readers. This means they do not meet federal accessibility requirements.
- The purpose of the calendar image is to draw attention to the event listing, not provide event details. The event details are provided in the listing right next to the image.
- Event images are cropped to different ratios across the UND website. Text will get cut off or covered in some instances.
Objectionable or Irrelevant Content
UND reserves the right to reject or remove, without notification, any listing featuring objectionable content, imagery, or subject matter such as hate speech, pornographic content, content encouraging dangerous behavior, or content not in line with university standards of conduct for students, faculty and staff. Review of content is executed by the university, with respect given to the right to academic freedom and the freedom of thought.
How to Post
Who Can Post to the UND Calendar
Anyone can submit events to the UND calendar.
- Users with an NDUS account (NDUS.Identifier) can submit events. This is the same username and password used for many UND systems.
- Those outside the UND community may login with Facebook, Google, Twitter or LinkedIn to submit an event.
To ensure maximum exposure for event listings, please submit the listing at least two weeks ahead of the event date. This allows time for review and posting.
Efforts will be made to process events submitted after this two-week window, but no guarantees are made regarding the inclusion of such events.
Embed Events on Website
Most event clicks come from audience-specific event embeds across the UND website, rather than visits to the calendar itself.
The Events Listing snippet will automatically embed UND Calendar events on your webpage, reducing workload and web content duplication. The Event Listing snippet pulls in event name, image, date, time and brief description from existing event calendar listings. Each event links to its unique calendar webpage for supporting details.
Event lists pulled into your site can be filtered to include events by audience, topic, event location or experience (virtual vs. in-person). Events can also be filtered by tagging individual events that you want to pull into your webpage.
How to Add the Event Listing Snippet to your Webpage
- If needed, log in and add event(s) to the UND calendar. Events can be pulled in two ways:
- Filters: When completing the calendar add event form, select the event categories/filters you want to pull in. Filters include event location, audience, experience etc.
- Keywords: If you need to manually select events to add to your webpage, you must add a widget keyword field to your calendar submission. Widget keywords should be descriptive of what type of webpage you are pulling them into, use all lower-case letters and use hyphens to separate words. Examples of widget keywords are: wg_wellness-center, wg_graduate-school-lectures, wg_provost. Widget keywords can be added to events that you have previously added under your account.
- Add the Events Listing snippet to your webpage:
- Log into the webpage you would like to add the Events Listing snippet to.
- Place your cursor in the area of the page you want the snippet.
- Click the ‘Insert Snippet’ icon in the toolbar
- Select Event Listing
- Click Insert
- Add Heading to the snippet table. This heading will appear on your page.
- Build an events feed embed code:
- Navigate to the calendar widget builder.
- Complete the form by filling in ONLY the following categories:
- Template = UND Universal
- Number of Results = 10 max (this is the number of events that will display on your webpage)
- Days Ahead = 365 (this can be as many or as few days as you would like)
- Content (if applicable) = Dropdowns within the ‘Content’ section should be selected if you want to pull in filtered events to your website. For example, if you want to pull in all events for graduate students, you would select Graduate/Professional from the ‘Events By Audience’ dropdown. If you are unsure of what types of events will be pulling in, visit the UND calendar and use the Filter function to see a complete list of events that will be displayed on your webpage.
- Widget Keyword (if applicable) = This line should be filled in by using the exact keyword you created and used when adding events.
- Excluded Content (if applicable) = Select event categories and filters you wish to not show on your calendar.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the form and select Preview Widget. This will show you the events that will automatically display on your webpage. Be sure there are enough events displaying. If not, go back and remove some filters.
- If you are happy with the event listing displayed, copy the preview URL (widget embed code) from the address bar.
- Navigate back to OmniUpdate and paste the Widget Embed Code into the Events Feed of the snippet. Example code: https://calendar.und.edu/widget/view?schools=northdakota&days=31&num=50&container=localist-widget-12712987&template=modern
- Delete the “&format=html” text.
- If you would like to display All UND calendar events, you can link to the UND events calendar from the More Link. If you do not wish to link to additional events, delete the more Events content from the snippet.
- Save the page. The Event Listing should appear in Page Preview.
Event Listing Tips
- Web listings should be maximum of 10 events long to meet usability best practices. If you need a condensed calendar view on your website, contact Aimee Halstenson.
- Be mindful of keeping your webpages up to date. If there are no upcoming events using your widget keyword or category, no events will be displayed on your page. Remove the snippet if there are no events.