The University of North Dakota Associate Vice President for Finance (AVPF) is a key member of the senior management team of the Division of Finance & Operations. It provides an important leadership role in overseeing the financial, budgeting and accounting activities of the University and ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, governmental regulations, institutional policies and guidelines, and best business practices.
The AVPF reports to, advises, and supports the vice president for finance and operations/chief operating officer and strategically collaborates with other University leaders – including, but not limited to, the president and provost – regarding the status of the budget and overall financial conditions for integrated financial planning. The AVPF also coordinates activities with the UND Alumni Association & Foundation and other related entities to ensure that the best processes and controls are in place.
The AVPF is responsible for the financial leadership and oversight of the University and for the efficiency and effectiveness of the institution’s multi-dimensional business operations. Reporting directly to the AVPF are the offices of Controller (including Treasury, Asset Management, Bookstore liaison and Facilities Business Services), Resource Planning & Allocation (including Shared Service Center and UND Print & Mail Center), Procurement & Payment Services and Athletics Finance. The University of North Dakota is one of 11 colleges and universities comprising the North Dakota University System (NDUS).
Additionally, this position is responsible for leading the incentive-based resource allocation model, including working with the academic deans, to ensure the model utilizes best possible practices, on a schedule that supports the institution’s evolving financial and strategic plans.
The University of North Dakota seeks an experienced and strategic leader to become the next associate vice president for finance who is an innovative, analytical, collaborative, and experienced finance professional with the vision to combine the best financial and administrative practices with the highest levels of service across the institution.
- A master’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field with a CPA and/or CMA preferred.
- Ten years of relevant experience with demonstrated progression in responsibility, preferable in public higher education.
- Advanced knowledge of financial management in budgeting and accounting, including forecasting financial results, strategic financial analysis, and regulatory compliance.
- Experience developing and presenting compliance financial modeling.
- Significant experience with and proficiency in complex databases, enterprise financial systems, analytical, and reporting tools.
- Proficiency with Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Public higher education background
- Experience working with responsibility-centered management (RCM) or incentive-based budget processes.
Review of applications will begin on March 22, 2023.
Applications should include a letter of interest (not more than three pages) specifically addressing the applicant’s background in relationship to the qualifications described, a current résumé or curriculum vitae, and any additional materials as required/desired. Interested individuals must apply online.
Supplemental University Information
- University Profile - Learn more about the position, University strategic plan, points of pride, the budget model, the Greater Grand Forks community and state of North Dakota
- Benefits Package - From fully-paid familiy health plans to tuition waivers, UND employees are provided with benefits that make great careers even better.
- UND YouTube Channel - View a plethora of videos including campus tourse, Leaders in Action feature stories, life as a UND student, research, athletics, and much more.