UND Founders Day
Founders Day is the annual celebration of our history as an institution and a time to honor members of our campus community.
It marks the anniversary of the signing of the Dakota Territory legislation, establishing the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks. It is the official birthday of UND! The first celebration of Founders Day was held in 1904.
2021 Founders Day Event
The 2021 UND Founders Day Celebration will be held virtually, beginning on Thursday, February 25 at 5 p.m.
To watch the celebration, please click the play button below. Add the event to your calendar.
About the Founders Day Celebration
Retirees with 15 years or more of service*, employees with 25 years of service, outstanding faculty, departments, advisors, and researchers are traditionally honored at an event on the last Thursday in February — commemorating the founding of the University in 1883.
*Retirees with 15 or more continuous, full-time, benefited years of service to the University of North Dakota are honored.
2020 Faculty & Departmental Awards
The UND Foundation/McDermott Faculty Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Dexter Perkins, Professor, Geology & Geological Engineering
The UND Foundation/Lydia & Arthur Saiki Award for Individual Excellence in Teaching
- Shaina Mattingly, Lecturer, Chemistry
The UND Foundation/McDermott Faculty Award for Excellence in Graduate or Professional Teaching
- Robert Stupnisky, Programs Director, Educational Foundations & Research
The UND Foundation/B.C. Gamble Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research or Creative Activity, and Service
- Michael Mann, Professor, Chemical Engineering and Executive Director, Institute of Energy Studies
The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Teaching
- Department of Pathology
The UND Foundation/Robert O. and Marcia B. Kelley Award for Excellence in Collaborative Governance
- Wen Sun, Graduate Research Assistant, Chemistry
The UND Foundation/Lydia & Arthur Saiki Faculty Award for Excellence in Service
- Jessica Foley, Clinical Assistant Professor, Communication Sciences & Disorders
The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Service
- Department of Occupational Therapy
The UND Foundation/ Karleen Home Rosaaen Award for Excellence in Academic Advising
- Carla Steen, Clinical Assistant Professor / Academic Advisor, Communication Sciences & Disorders
VPAA Award for Outstanding Professional Academic Advising
- Angela Cary, Academic Advisor, College of Arts & Sciences
- Marlys Escobar, Academic Advisor, College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines
- Andres Freeman, Academic Advisor, Athletics
- Heather Helgeson, Academic Advisor, Nistler College of Business & Public Administration
- David Rzucidlo, Academic Advisor, Occupational Therapy
- Shannon Sporbert Webber, Academic Core Advisor, Student Academic Success & Career Engagement
- Kasey Young, Academic Advisor, Education, Health & Behavior
The UND Foundation/ McDermott Faculty Award for Excellence in Research and/ or Creative Activity
- Julia Zhao, Professor, Chemistry
The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Research
- Department of Chemical Engineering