Student Technology Requirements
Whether you’re taking courses in the classroom or online, it’s important to have the right technology and equipment.
Minimum Technology Requirements
- Laptop or Desktop Computer (Windows or Mac)
- Any new Windows or Mac laptop or desktop should work well for your student work. Choosing a Windows or Mac machine is a personal preference and both are widely used and supported on campus.
- UIT does not recommend using mobile devices, tablets, or Chromebooks as your primary work device as some systems and applications are not compatible. These do, however, make great auxiliary devices.
- Broadband Internet Connection (DSL, Cable, Fiber)
- A wired ethernet is the best option for online live class sessions and for taking exams and quizzes in Blackboard. A minimum of DSL/Cable (512kbps) is recommended. Wireless WiFi is not recommended for online live class sessions and for taking exams and quizzes since WiFi signals can unexpectedly drop. How to check your internet connection.
- Updated Internet Browser: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Safari
- UND Email (email setup instructions)
- Headset and Webcam (for online courses if not built into laptop)
- ProctorU is an online exam proctoring format commonly ued for online courses or national examination proctoring. If you are in a course requiring the use of ProctorU, please refer to ProctorU technology requirements.
Technology Requirements by Program
Certain degree programs may have additional technology requirements.
In addition to the recommended computer specifications, Distance Engineering Degree Program students, or any student taking an engineering class via distance delivery mode (online) with PDF formatted exams, will need to refer to the technical requirements necessary for using ProctorU for administration of exams.
- 16GB RAM
- 256GB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Intel i7 or equivalent processor
- Recommended: dedicated graphics card
ProctorU is an online exam proctoring format commonly used for online courses or national examination proctoring. If you are in courses requiring the use of ProctorU, please follow their requirements.
As a UND student, you'll receive Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for free. It includes Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, Outlook and more. 365 ProPlus requires a minimum operating system of Windows 10 or newer/ Mac OS 10.13 or newer.
You may install Office 365 ProPlus on a maximum of five home or personally-owned PCs / Macs and on a maximum of five mobile devices. Office mobile applications are accessible on iPhone and Android phones.
Additional Free Software
UND also provides students:
- Microsoft Windows
- Read Write
- Orbit Note
On-campus students are not required to have a printer. uPrint is available to all students at various on-campus locations.
UND does not sell computers but many vendors offer educational discounts. Additionally, your student fees include repair and warranty work at UIT's Service Desk in the Chester Fritz Library.
UIT provides free computer and technology/software support for on-campus and online students.