The Learning Center is so fortunate to have Student Caregivers that assist the Teachers. They provide energy and enthusiasm throughout the day. They are not hired to just "do the dirty work" at the Learning Center. Everyone does whatever needs to be done. That may be dishes, sweeping, bandaging a scrap or giving some extra hugs and TLC.
All Caregivers complete 15 hours of online training within 3 months of their hire. It covers such topics as Responsive Caregiver, Safe and Healthy Environments, Mandated Reporting, and Injury Prevention. They also must be certified in CPR and First Aid within their first 3 months of hire. All caregivers attend training hours that are dependent upon the number of hours they work.
The Learning Center tries to hire Caregivers that are majoring in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education to give them the experience they need. However, we hire students from a variety of majors. Each is hired for a unique reason and fills a need at the Learning Center. The Learning Center could not do the amazing job they do without all our Caregivers.
Meet the Learning Center Caregivers
- Mattie is majoring in Social Work. This past year Mattie has loved working with some amazing teachers and watching the toddlers grow and learn. She looks forward to meeting the new toddlers and becoming a licensed social worker! To relax Mattie spends time with herself reading a book. She works to stay positive by thinking about how fortunate she is to have access to education and a job.
- June is a sophomore majoring in General Studies, which she hopes to use to get into Medical School. UND is close to home and she received some scholarships to help her achieve her educational dreams at UND. June chose UCLC because she finds it easy to help children figure out things on their own. June marches in the UND Marching Band at all UND sporting events and plays soccer. Her favorite preschool book was No David.
- Lauren is a sophomore from Forest Lake Minnesota majoring in Elementary Education. She chose UND because her sister had attended here and it felt like home to her. She chose to work at UCLC because working with children will help her in her future career as a teacher. As a preschooler, Lauren’s favorite book was The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear. She enjoyed playing house with her friends and using the toy vacuum cleaner.
- Kailey is planning to major in Occupational Therapy while she attends UND; she chose UND because of the OT program. She was excited to join the UCLC team because she worked in a child care in her home town of Coon Rapids MN and really enjoyed the experience. While not studying, going to class, or working, Kailey enjoys being with her friends, shopping, baking, painting, and writing. Her favorite book as a preschooler was Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes and she would be singing If You Are Happy and You Know It.
- Julianna is a Commercial Aviation major who moved to Grand Forks from Texas because of the reputation of UND’s Aviation Department. She has previous experience working with young children and thought UCLC would be a good fit for her. Her hobbies include ROTC, Dance, Band, and of course, Aviation. Her favorite book as a preschooler was Eric Carle’s Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? She enjoyed any Disney song that was playing.
- Emma comes to UND from Rochester, MN. She is currently a pre-nursing major pursuing a psychology minor. She chose UND because of the reputation of the nursing program. She has aspirations of being a pediatrician someday and thought UCLC would give her some valuable insight into working with children. Emma enjoys traveling, hiking, working as a CAN, and volunteering at an animal shelter. Growing up Junie B. Jones and Magic Treehouse were the books she loved.
- Savannah came to UND from Grenora, ND because it’s close to her grandparents and her mom is an UND Alumni. Savannah is planning on majoring in Special Education and felt that UCLC would provide her necessary tools for working with young children. She enjoys reading, drawing, painting, and hiking. Her favorite book as a preschooler was Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. Her favorite activity was finger-painting and seeing how could their hands covered in the most paint.
Natalie moved to Grand Forks from Avon, Indiana. She chose UND because of the size of the University and the amazing aviation program. She is a Sophomore majoring in Air Traffic Management. She chose UCLC for employment because eshe enjoys working with children and watching them grow and learn. Her hobbies include singing, tennis, swimming, laughing and aviation. Her favorite book as a preschooler was If Anything Ever Goes Wrong at the Zoo. Her favorite memory from her preschool years was putting together puzzles with her Grandpa.
- Zoe is double majoring in Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education while pursuing a certificate in Entrepreneurship. In the past four years Zoe feels she has been able to experience growth as a teacher in a warm and caring environment. This year she is excited to student teach with Teacher Heather as her mentor. To remain relaxed and stay positive, Zoe reflects on the small happy moments and practices understanding during moments of stress.
- Hannah is a freshman from Sioux Falls, SD majoring in nursing. She is interested in being a pediatric nurse so she can make an impact on the next generation. Hannah enjoys talking to people and getting to know their story. Her favorite book as a preschooler was "Love You, Forever" because it's a beautiful story that her mother read to her about never-ending and relentless love.
- Samantha graduated high school in Thief River Falls. She chose UND because of it's great Education program. She enjoys baking, reading, fishing, traveling, and spending time with family and friends. Her favorite book as a preschooler was "Horton Hears a Who" and she loved singing the "Wheels on the Bus."
Sara is an Elementary Education major. Sara stated that the best thing about last year was being able to work a little in each color family and get to know so many children. She looks forward to meeting new kids this year and graduating! Sara takes time for herself by going to movies and reading books.
- Lindsey is a planning a career in Physical Therapy. Over the past year, Lindsey has enjoyed building relationships with the children. She is looking forward to continuing to learn by experience.
- Brianna is a medical lab science major. She chose to work at UCLC because she loves working with kids. She enjoy reading and being outside. She enjoyed reading Oh, The Places You’ll Go when she was young and singing Row, Row Your Boat. Her favorite preschool memory was going to a Twins game with her class.
- Malea is majoring in OT and has been a UND fan her whole life. She chose UCLC because she feels that making connections with children is important. Malea is a dog lover. When she was a preschooler, her favorite book was The Very Hungry Caterpillar. She most enjoyed making friends and playing dress up when she was young.
- Breeanna is an Education major. In the past year Breeanna has enjoyed working with new teachers and student caregivers while meeting all the new children. This year she is looking forward to completing TEAM in the spring to prepare for student teaching in the fall. To relax and reduce stress, Breeanna goes to Church and takes naps.
- Chelsey is an Elementary Education major. During the past year, UCLC was the place when all her stress went away; the children are always excited to see you when you walk in. She also dances to release stress.
- Jenna is an Elementary Education major. This past year she has enjoyed forming close relationships with many of the children. She looks forward to building that relationship with the new kids this year. For relaxation Jenna intentionally builds "me-time" into her busy schedule.
- Ryann chose UND because she had heard great things about the teacher education program. Ryann enjoys reading, writing, coloring, and drawing. She loved the Baby Shark as a preschooler and the book Oh, The Places You’ll Go. Ryann remembers that her and her twin sister had their own language when they were young.
- Ashley is an Elementary Education major. This past year she enjoyed coming to work and learn along with the children while watching them grow and learn. This year she is looking forward to working in different classrooms and meeting even more children. To relax Ashley bakes and reads!
- Ana is an education major. During the past year, Ana, felt that the best thing from the last year was being able to work one-on-one with a great learner. She is looking forward to continue to grow her experience of working with young children. To relax, Ana, listens to music and reflects on her day.
- Jacob is an Elementary Education major. For the past year, Jacob has enjoyed being someone the children can look up to and he is looking forward to being able to watch their continued growth and development over the next year.
- Allie is majoring in nursing. While working at UCLC, Allie has enjoyed interacting with the kids and looks forward to meeting and getting to know all the new kids. To relax, Allie, hangs out with her friends.