Marketing & Communications
The Division of the Marketing & Communications serves as the chief promotion division for the University of North Dakota.
Marketing & Communication Services
We celebrate and support the mission of the university.
Communicate with current UND students. Explore student marketing tactics to develop a plan to meet your goals.
University ceremonies and events are the rituals and celebrations in the life of the campus. Events are the:
- Public means for marking institutional and individual milestones
- Gatherings to maximize outreach, public relations opportunities, and institutional marketing
- Forums for helping the University share the culture and accomplishments of the institution.
UND events are important components in the University’s efforts to build and maintain positive relationships with internal and external constituencies and to generate understanding of and support for the University.
In support of the mission of UND and University’s strategic priorities, the Office of Ceremonies & University Events ensures that institutional ceremonies and high-profile, public, events are created, planned, and carried out in an effective and quality way.
- Commencement ceremonies – eight per year
- Founders Day Banquet – last Thursday of February
- Graduation Expos – three per year
- UND Bus Tour – August
- Presidential Inauguration Ceremonies
- Groundbreaking ceremonies for new buildings on campus
- Dedication ceremonies
Every campaign or marketing plan has a component in need of graphic design. Although each piece is unique, all designs follow UND brand guidelines, so everyone knows we are "UND."
UND Marketing offers templates for name badges, business cards, stationery, merchandise, letterhead, power point presentations, signage, envelopes, campus digital signage and more.
Graphic Design Services
- Logo design
- Advertisements (direct mail, print ads, outdoor, digital)
- Event signage
- Brochures and publications
- Promotional items
Professional headshot services are available to University faculty and staff. All faculty and staff are highly encouraged to have an official headshot for use in professional business settings, such as presentations, business cards, websites, and for use in professional organizations where you are representing UND.
Students, student employees and alumni should contact UND Career Services for information on their headshot options.
Once per month, the Photo Studio in Skalicky 110 is open from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. for headshot sessions. There is no cost for headshot photography and no appointment is required. Mornings from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. tend to be busier than the afternoons.
If your department plans to attend as a group of 5 or more, please email marketing@UND.edu in advance, so we can prepare for your arrival. If a very large department needs headshot photos, Marketing & Communications may schedule a special session for your group.
Marketing & Communications will upload your professional headshot to the UND Directory after a completed session
Upcoming Headshot Days
- Tuesday, March 7
- Wednesday, April 19
- Tuesday, May 16
- Wednesday, June 14
- Thursday, July 20
- Thursday, Aug. 17
- Wednesday, Aug. 23
- Tuesday, Sept. 12
- Wednesday, Oct. 11
- Thursday, Nov. 16
- Wednesday, Dec. 6
Marketing is more than an attractive logo, brochure or website. A successful marketing plan requires planning and strategy. We'll help you by generating the right message, targeted to the right audiences and communicated in the right way.
UND Marketing provides tools, templates and tips for marketing best practices. View brand standards for additional resources.
The Division of Marketing & Communications captures UND’s story through photography in order to advance the University’s branding, recruitment and retention goals. Photography requests made by campus partners are prioritized by photo category and the scope of the distribution plan and photography staff availability.
Categories of Photos
- Student Life
- Campus scenes
- University-wide, high-profile events with a broad photo distribution plan used for external marketing, recruitment and public relations opportunities.
- Public events coordinated by the Office Ceremonies & University Events as needed/requested.
- Note: Individual department, program and unit award ceremonies, luncheons and other similar internal campus activities will be considered if there is a broad photo distribution plan and photography staff are available. Requests should be made at least two weeks in advance by submitting Marketing Project Request Form.
- Limited to high-profile occasions that will likely be referenced at a later time (e.g., new building grand opening).
- UND faculty and staff headshots
- UND website
- Admissions recruitment print materials
- Admissions recruitment emails
- Main UND social media accounts
- Recruitment presentations
- Admissions visits
- College visits
- Digital and print advertising
- UND public photo library
- Administrative communications (campus-wide initiatives, presentations, etc.)
- Campus branding
- UND Today and research communications (broad distribution content only)
- Campus and Alumni publications (broad distribution content only)
Online Public Photo Library
Imagery is a powerful resource to tell the UND story. Campus has access to an online public photo library maintained by the University Photographers. The collection illustrates a wide range of UND programs, activities and locations. The online public library photos may be used for official University purposes. By using the UND public photo library, you agree to the UND Photo Use Requirements and to retain the naming structure of downloaded photos. If photos are renamed it makes relocating that image incredibly in the larger UND photo archive.
Requests for additional archived photography may be submitted to marketing@UND.edu.
Requests for photography services may be submitted to the Marketing Project Request Form.
We understand the value of building mutually beneficial relationships between UND and its publics. That's why we dedicate significant resources to tell our stories in the local, state and national media.
- News releases, media advisories and news conferences
- U-Letter production
- Crisis communications and issue management
- Hometown news
- Spokesperson and media training
- UND Today production
Media and News
Get the latest UND news, find experts for media interviews, request records and find media inquiry information on our news page.
Video brings your story to life and is a high-demand medium. Whether you want to inspire, educate or just entertain, we customize each video to meet your needs.
Video and Audio Best Practices
Faculty Video Services
Videos created by Marketing & Communications typically are for general recruitment purposes and are not program specific. Faculty needing video services for class should contact TTaDA.
Whether you would like to add a page, rewrite content or completely restructure your website, we can discuss the best options to implement the project in Omni (Modern Campus).
Marketing & Communications provides various levels of service to campus partners. In addition, we've contracted with a variety of pre-approved vendors that UND departments can hire for additional services.
To start a conversation, please complete the Project Request Form or email us at marketing@UND.edu.
Marketing Project Request Form
University-Wide Content Sharing Policy
The Division of Marketing & Communications shares content created by our office equally with all campus colleges, divisions, and departments. This policy allows our Division to use our resources to best serve the campus community and provide high-quality, comprehensive content. Marketing & Communications does not limit content to one area when it could be used to promote the university as a whole.
Everyone benefits from this policy. Sharing content across campus gives areas that don’t have access to content creators, such as photographers, videographers and writers, a range of content to use in their marketing materials and websites. It also enables Marketing & Communications to highlight many majors and programs in university-wide marketing campaigns.
Academic Photo Selection Process
UND photography marketing an academic program is selected from UND's photo archive. Using photos from the program is the preferred choice. If size or inventory limitations occur, Marketing will select a photo from outside the program. In these photos, individuals may not be students or faculty in the program; however, the photo selected will highlight a realistic learning environment, campus scene, or professional outcome a student of the program would experience