UND recognizes and respects the need to accommodate lactating mothers.
Using Mothering Rooms
- Each room is private and in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Room are available on a first-come, first serve basis. Time can be schedule depending on the number of people using the rooms.
- If you need access to a refrigerator or cooler, please contact the Grand Forks Public Health at 701.787.8100.
- It is requested that all persons using the room to clean the area before leaving the room. The rooms are on a weekly cleaning schedule through UND maintenance services.
Mothering Room Locations
- Education Building – Room 245, at 231 Centennial Drive. This building has a private room with a sink. You will need to bring your own cooler.
- Columbia Hall – Room 2714 in Columbia Hall. This room has a mini refrigerator, a sink, and storage cabinets.
- Twamley Hall – Room 400B located at 264 Centennial Drive. No running water or refrigerator in the room.
- Northern Plains Behavioral Research Building – Room 390 at 430 Oxford Street. This room has running water nearby and you will need to bring your own cooler.
- Information Technologies Building – Room 215A, at 4349 James Ray Drive. This room is on the west side of campus and the entrance is through a private door in the restroom. The mothering room has a refrigerator and sink.
- Wilkerson Commons – Lower Level – Private room (access through restroom across from Meeting Room 130. The room has running water. You will need to bring your own cooler.
- EERC – Room W205, 15 North 23rd Street. The room has a refrigerator and privacy for up to 3 people at the samd time. A key can be checked out at the front desk. It is a first come/first serve basis but can be scheduled in advance by contacting the front desk at 701.777.5100.
- O'Kelly – Room 115. Has running water, changing table, access to power.
- School of Medicine & Health Sciences – Room W313, has a sink and fridge.
Mothering Room Resources
Local Breastfeeding Resources
- Grand Forks Public Health Department and Breastfeeding
- Personal Cooler lending program: Grand Forks 701-787-8100
- Greater Grand Forks Breastfeeding Coalition
- Mama's Milk Connection – Polk County, 218-281-3385, Ext. 2248
State Breastfeeding Resources
- North Dakota Century Code (NDCC) 23-12-17 – Workplace Breastfeeding Policies
- North Dakota Breastfeeding
National Breastfeeding Resources
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention – Breastfeeding
- Healthy People 2020: Maternal, Infant and Child Health: MICH 21 and MICH 22
- Section 7(r) Fair Labor Standards Act – Break Time for Nursing Mothers Provision
- United State Breastfeeding Committee
- United States Department of Health and Human Services: Office of Women's Health – Breastfeeding
- La Leche League International