Payroll & Taxes
Current Employees can find links to helpful tools and forms in the section. The links provided will direct you to the desired information.
- Historical Salary Information - Find Past Salary Information for UND Employees
- Military Leave Information
Forms and Tools
- Address Change Form
- Direct Deposit Authorization Change Form / Direct Deposit Exemption Form / Direct Deposit Form Instructions
- Donated Leave Form / Donated Leave-Employee Consent To Release Name / Digital Donated Leave Form
- Notice of Employment Change Form
- Leave Authorization/Payroll Deduction Agreement
- Name Change Form
- Salary Reduction Agreement - Retirement
- Twelve Month Payment Request
- Voluntary Leave Without Pay/Workload Reduction Form
Minnesota or Montana Residents-Optional Forms
- NDWR Form and Instructions 2021 - Optional form for employees who are residents of the state of Minnesota who wish to have Minnesota state income tax withheld from paychecks, instead of North Dakota state income tax.
- Request for Foreign National Information System (Used for Non-Resident Aliens Receiving Wages as Employees of UND)
- W-4MN Form and Instructions - Optional form for employees who are residents of the state of Minnesota who want to claim exempt from Minnesota state income tax.
Federal Tax Forms
- W-2/1095-C Request Form - Request a copy of form
- W-9 Form - Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Cerrtification
- W-4 - Withholding Allowance Certificate
North Dakota State Tax Forms
Why didn't I have Federal Tax withheld?
Your gross taxable wages were not large enough. You are claiming too many allowances. You are claiming the exempt status.
Why was federal tax deducted from my payroll check and never was before?
If you were claiming exempt status and it expired or you had a large enough gross wage, allowing taxes to be withheld.
Why was Social Security tax deducted from my payroll check and never was before?
If you are an International Student, your Visa status may have expired for tax purposes. If you are a student working and not enrolled in the required number of credits. If you are a student working in a staff position.
Should I claim the exempt status?
We cannot advise you. The IRS rule is you cannot claim exemption from withholding if (1) your income exceeds $950 and includes more than $300 of unearned income (e.g., interest and dividends) and (2) another person can claim you as a dependent on their tax returns.
Can I have Minnesota State Tax taken?
Yes, you will need to make the request and complete two forms. These forms can be obtained from the Payroll Office.
How many exemptions can I claim?
We can't advise you. Each employee's situation is different.
How does Flex Comp affect my taxes?
Flex Comp deductions reduce your gross wages for tax calculation and therefore, you pay less tax.
My Federal Taxable wages and Social Security/Medicare wages are different on my W-2. Shouldn't they be the same?
Not always, Supplemental Retirement Annuities are subject to Social Security/Medicare tax but not Federal and State tax.