Master Planning Process
UND Master Plan
The foundation of the current master planning process was laid in 2016 with an initial campus master plan, as requested by the State Board of Higher Education (SBHE), focused on:
- Space utilization
- Deferred maintenance
- Academic programming
The SBHE then asked all state institutions to finish their strategic plans, and use their strategic plan as a guide to update their master plans for 2017-2022. On February 17, 2022 UND held its strategic plan kick off to begin the formation of UND’s new strategic plan. UND will delay its next comprehensive master planning engagement until after the new strategic plan is completed.
The foundation for UND’s 2022 Master was laid in 2018, and reflects the progress that UND has made over the last five years. The 2018 plan is due at the State Board of Higher Education in February, 2022.
The campus master plan is an integral part of the UND strategic plan.The goal is to make the campus more attractive and functional. The University is creating a 30-year vision for how the physical campus will support the State and student-serving goals of the One UND Strategic Plan.
30 Year Campus Vision
A 30-year campus vision is being updated through a partnership with Sasaki Associates, Inc., a planning and design firm. Sasaki combined the findings of the 2016 process, priorities of the new UND Strategic Plan, campus survey results along with several tele-com and on-campus meetings and visits to create a master planning concept for the University. The concept considered UND’s campus design goals of being:
It sets a framework for short-term strategic decision making on buildings, landscape, roads and more.
Master Planning Documents
2022 Campus Master Plan
- Campus Master Plan - 2016
- Student Housing Demand Survey (U3) - 2019
- Academic Master Plan - 2018
- Sasaki 2022 Site Planning - updated
- Facilities Condition Assessment - 2016
- Parking Operational Assessment
- CPS Parking Condition Report
- Dining Services Master Plan
- Campus Housing Evaluation Study
- Chester Fritz Auditorium Study
- Campus Shuttle Study
- Greek Housing Land Use Concept Plan
- Coulee to Columbia Master Plan
- Chester Fritz Library Master Plan
- UND Roofing Assessment
- Memorial Union/McCannel Hall Master Plan
- Governor's Main Street Initiative
- Parking and Transportation Implementation Plan
- Housing Market Study Overview - 2020